The Best Photography Website Builder
In this article I'll explain why I recommend two website builders above all others for photography websites and portfolios.
Our work is supported by affiliate commissions. Learn More
By Steve Benjamins | Updated Jan 2 2023
In this post, we’re going to show you the two best website builders for building high-quality, photography portfolios.
We’ve spent the last few months researching portfolio websites and trying different website builders— so you don’t have to.
Let’s dive right into more details.
What is a photography website builder?
Photography website builders are user-friendly website building tools professional photographers use to showcase their online portfolio and boost their photography business.
Typically, such builders offer photography templates you can pick from to build a site in minutes. Plus, they include a drag-and-drop, visual editor and all functionalities and customization options a photography portfolio might need.
Website Builder Rankings
Best Website Builders For Photography
Best-in-class. Highly recommended.
Squarespace is the best all-around website builder. It can power photography websites but also many other kinds: blogs, e-commerce, small businesses, and more.
What To Like
- Templates — Squarespace has outstanding templates. Many will work perfectly for photography portfolios. They also have excellent template customization. See templates for examples.
- Tons of Features — Squarespace has more features than Format and features such as blogging and e-commerce are much better. See features for more.
- Easier Page Creation — Squarespace has a visual editor that lets you preview your page as you create it (Format does not).
- Excellent Ecommerce — Squarespace has better e-commerce than Format.
What Not To Like
- No Client Proofing — Because Squarespace is for all kinds of websites they haven’t built the same backend for client proofing that Format has been moving into. You’ll need to rely on a 3rd party proofing tool.
Unlike Squarespace, Format is just for photography websites. That focus means it also an advantage on very specific photography features— such as client proofing.
What To Like
- Templates — Format templates are more unique than Squarespace.
- Client Proofing — Format has tools and workflows around client proofing.
- Format Prints — Sell your creation without worrying about inventory or shipping.
What Not To Like
- Page creation not always easy — Customizing your Format website isn't as intuitive as Squarespace.
- Bare Minimum Features — For example, e-commerce is pretty limited.
|Disable Right Click||Can be done with code injection.||Yes|
|Automatic Watermarkers||No — you can use a plugin like Powr, though.||Yes — Automatically watermarks to client galleries (not website galleries though).|
|Focal Points||Yes — Images can have a focal point that is cropped around. Useful for square thumbnails.||No — You can't set an image focal point.|
|Client Gallaries||No — You’ll need to use a 3rd party (Ex: Pixieset) for client galleries.||Yes — Workflow is Format’s client management system.|
|Password Protected Pages||Yes||Yes|
|Custom Email Notifications||Yes — You can customize customer order emails.||No — Customers receive a default order email.|
|Payment Processor||Stripe, Paypal, Apple Pay, Square, and Afterpay||Paypal — No direct credit card option|
|Product variations||Unlimited variations||1 variation — For example: size or color but not both.|
|Taxes||Yes — You have to manually add taxes for states and provinces.||No — You can’t charge taxes to your customers.|
|Integrations||Aftership, Delighted, Easyship, Printful, inFlow, Orderdesk, Aftership, Printique and more||None|
|Sell on Instagram||Yes||No|
|Social Media Sharing||Yes||Yes|
|Search Engine Optimization (SEO)||Yes||Yes|
|Photo Storage||Unlimited storage||Limited - Starts from 100 GB, so nothing to worry|
|Upload images from||Desktop||Desktop, Dropbox, Lightroom, Capture One|
|Plans (Annual)||Personal $12 / month Business $18 / month Basic Commerce $26 / month Advanced Commerce $40 / month||Free Workflow Plan — only 10 client galleries Pro $15 / month Pro Plus $25 / month Premium $40 / month|
|Domain Name||$20 / year||$20 / year|
|Free Domain Name For 1 Year||Yes — on annual plans||Yes — on annual plans|
|Free Professional Email from Google for 1 Year||Yes — except on Personal plan||Yes — except on Free and Pro plans|
|Gmail Hosting||$72 / year / email||$72 / year / email|
More Photography Website Builders
Squarespace and Format are our recommended photography website builders— but there are definitely other website builders worth checking out for photography:
- Wix — Squarespace's #1 competitor.
- Cargo Collective — Maybe the most popular photography site builder.
- Pixieset — Beautiful client proofing galleries.
- Pixpa — Primarily a photography website builder, but expanding in other categories.
- Carrd — For one page websites. Significantly cheaper.
- SmugMug — One of the more popular photography website builders.
- Zenfolio — Decent templates yet comparatively expensive plans to show, share & sell your photography
Frequently Asked Questions
What's the best free photography website builder?
Squarespace and Format do not have free plans. I'd recommend trying Ucraft if you want a free photography website. Otherwise see my Free Website Builders roundup for an overview of the best and worst free website builders.
What about WordPress?
WordPress is great— but I stopped using WordPress a few years ago and I have not looked back. Website builders like Squarespace and Format take care of everything: including hosting, domains and performance. That give's you peace of mind. WordPress let's you configure everything but it can often mean you spend time messing with domains, updating WordPress and dealing with incompatibilities— whereas website builders *just work*.
Should I make a photography website if I already have Instagram?
Definitely! Instagram is a fine place to build an audience but don't rely solely on it. Instagram controls the relationship to your audience: they decide whether you can post links and they decide where you show up in your followers timelines. Your photography needs a home on the internet where you are in control. That's critical for the long-term health of a business.